First of all, there is no deep-frying involved in this, which already cuts back on all that tummy ache causing grease consumption. Secondly, instead of chicken, I use eggplant. Before you immediately click out of this and say WTF, that sounds disgusting, please hear me out!
Basically, I am taking the steps of a basic eggplant Parmesan recipes and turning it into a "breaded patty" that is PERFECT for smothering in buffalo sauce and throwing on a bun with all the trimmings.
Have faith in this, and trust me....my husband and I both love this recipe!!! And if you have ever had eggplant, you know it doesn't have much of it's own flavor and kind of just takes on the flavor of whatever seasonings you use....
I'm not going to say that these taste like chicken sandwiches, because they don't....BUT they do taste like crunchy, buffalo awesomeness.
FINALLY, on to the recipe.....
But wait! Here is what you can expect it to look like when it's all said and done....
YUM looking, right!?!
1. one eggplant
2. bread crumbs(whole wheat are always good, but whatever you have around will work)
3. soy milk (can be substituted for 1 egg)
5. garlic powder
6. salt & pepper
7. buffalo sauce
8. all the things you love on your sandwich. (tomato, lettuce, onion, ranch,cheese)
1. Peel the skin off of your eggplant and slice into 1/4-1/2 inch slices
2. pour soy milk(or egg) into a bowl and mix with oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
I don't really measure, I just put a few dashes of each
3. Take the slices of eggplant, one at a time and set into the seasoned milk mixture, making sure to get both sides wet.
4. Then place the slice in the breadcrumbs and press them onto both sides until covered.
5. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until golden.....I like to flip them half way to get them crispy on both sides.
6. Once they are crispy, coat the breaded "patty" in buffalo sauce
7. Assemble the sandwich ( Since they are small, I put a couple patties per sandwich for heartier bites!)
8. Take a huge bite and make "ooh, ahh" sounds because it is SO GOOD!!!